Monday 26 December 2011

Dior 5 Couleurs Designer palette in Navy Design (208) - review & swatches


Dior 5 Couleurs Designer palette in Navy Design
Navy Design is the second Dior Designer palette which I own. And I believe these are the most beautiful and usable palettes I have. There's no mad variety of shades or textures and finishes, which are hard to combine. Actually only 2 of these are responsible for eye colour, whereas all others contribute to achieving a polished, classy look.




Dior provides detailed instructions as to how to use the palette, which of course you may chose to ignore.
The palette consists of five different products:
1. bottom left - luminous base
The producer advises to apply it with a finger, but I don't think this is the best method. I did try to follow the instructions when I got my first palette, but the base got sort of hard and uneven and it was difficult to apply as this is a non-creamy and non-powdery substance. So this time I started using a fluffy brush to apply it and it really works! The result is a transparent coat of luminescence all over the eyelid. Evens out the skin tone without looking patchy, makes an excellent highlighter.

2. centre - light blue eyeshadow
This is light blue with slate hues and pearly finish. Gorgeous colour, but I prefer to use it over some kind of base cause it's too sheer for my liking.

3. top left - navy eyeshadow
Quite opaque navy blue with pearly finish, applies slightly grayish.

4. bottom right - blackened navy cream eyeliner
This is to be applied with a stiff angled brush to contour the lid. Works well if you want smudgy lines, narrow, graphic lines are impossible to achieve.

5. top right - light blue glitter
You may apply the glitter wherever you want. The producer advises higlighting your brow bone with this, I love it in the inner corner for just a hint of luminescence. This glitter is not chunky or gritty and it stays put on your lids without causing any fall out issues. Looks stunning applied all over the eyelid (for festive occassions).

Dior eyeshadow Navy Design
Dior advises to start with the base, then put the light blue in the inner part of the eyelid and the dark blue in the outer corner and the crease. Then line your eye with the eye liner and apply the glitter on the brow bone.

To this routine I would add using a good primer to make the colour pop and most of all to make the shadows stay on for longer, cause unfortunately they tend to fade and crease on oily lids like mine. Or, and this is how I like them best, use them over cream eyeshadow base, which will make them go on with no end. For the make-up below I used Bobbi Brown gel eyeliner in Denim Ink.


Below I'm posting swatches in daylight and using flashlight and the final look.


To sum up I want to say that this palette is not without flaws. Eyeshadows crease without a primer, they don't allow a plethora of looks, some people will find the base useless. But the colours are pretty, the shadows are so soft and creamy and they apply and blend so well that it's impossible not to love them. I with there was a purple design palette, maybe one day?  

L to R: base, light blue, navy blue, glitter (daylight)

L to R: base, light blue, navy blue, glitter (flashlight)





Disclaimer: I bought the product myself for my personal use and I am not affiliated with any company. I am not paid to do this review and everything I said here is my genuine opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment