Monday 24 September 2012

Chanel Rouge Allure lipstick #98 Coromandel review


A Chanel consultant at Sephora did her best to dissuade me from getting this lipstick and push me to buy something more cool toned instead but I was somehow mesmerised by Coromandel and wouldn't listen.


Although the lipstick looks very orange-toned when swatched it actually doesn't seem that warm-toned on my lips. It seems to me that this is the proper red, neither too blue nor too orange, pink nor coral. In Polish we call this shade of red 'poppy red' which is most appropriate in this case. A very beautiful shade of red which doesn't mean that this lipstick will flatter all skin types cause the Chanel consultant was obviously right. I don't look my best in this lipstick.



This lipstick applies smoothly and moisturises my lips nicely. There is some glossy finish to it but it tends to fade and look velvety as time goes by. You definitely need to line your lips to ensure even application. The colour is very intense and opaque and what I really like about this lipstick is that the insides of your lips don't stand out. The lipstick sort of blends in and  looks very natural. 
All this good said, I must now say that qualitywise the lipstick is nothing extraordinary. Its wear time is pretty average, the finish is neither very glossy nor matte, it does moisturise but not as much as you'd hope for. What I want to say is that there's nothing modern about this lipstick. I imagine that Marylin Monroe used exactly this sort of lipstick, applied, blotted, powdered, added another coat and so on, all this to prolong wear time. I feel that with modern technology of 21st century Chanel could do much better than that. 


The consultant at Sephora lured me with a beautiful nail polish which accompanies the lipstick and bears the same name. I resisted and incidentally found out that I have a very similar polish in my stash which is Zoya Tamsen. These two, as you can see in the picture below, are a very good match.
Chanel Zoya Tamsen
Disclaimer: I bought the product myself for my personal use and I am not affiliated with any company. I am not paid to do this review and everything I said here is my genuine opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment