Monday 10 September 2012

Forbidden apples are not always worth grabbing. Estee Lauder Pure Color Lipstick in Forbidden Apple review



When I saw the promotional photo of Estee Lauder Autumn 2012 campaign I was mesmerised by all the make-up on this glorious model, her lips in particular. Then Pixiwoos tried to do the look in one of their videos using lots of products to make the lips look like in the photo and then I thought, what is all this fuss for? I'll simply get the lipstick! And I did! First time I saw it, swatched it in the shop I knew I couldn't live without it. Actually I also loved another new shade, Violet Electra, but since my hubby prefers reds I left Sephora with Forbidden Apple in a small striped paper bag.



This is where the idyllic tale of forbidden fruit ends. This lipstick disappoints in all respects, even in those I couldn't forsee. I'm glad I didn't waste my money on Violet Electra as well. The only good thing is that I bought it with a 30% discount so it wasn't THAT expensive.

sorry this picture is out of focus, I placed it here because it represents the colour well

ON THE BRIGHTER SIDE

  • the packaging looks really expensive and classy. I personally lean towards the blacks of Chanel more and it seems to me that in its gold Estee Lauder reflects Russian or Arabian idea of luxury and beauty, nonetheless the packaging is well designed and nice.
  • the lipstick is strongly scented, the smell brings caramelised apples to my mind. Something sweet and Christmassy.
  • quite long-lasting
  • opaque and saturated with colour



THE REALITY
  • the lipstick sparkles and shines in the artificial light of shopping malls or flash camera. In fact this is a matte lipstick packed with glitter. You feel how gritty it is when you apply it. 
  • this lipstick is extremely drying. Dry lips aren't my issue at all. I never complain about drying lipsticks, although other reviewers mention the fact. I own only one Carmex lip balm (just in case) and ELF tinted lip balm for the colour and SPF. But after one application of Forbidden Fruit lipstick I desperately needed serious scrubbing and moisturising treatment.
  • accentuates all dry skin on your lips
  • the colour leans towards dark magenta/fuchsia on my lips rather than the cool-toned dark red I wanted it to be. 
  • this lipstick promises to make your lips shine and it's understood that shine makes things look fuller (like gold leggings will make skinny legs look like sausages). My lips actually look narrow and they're not that narrow at all.




Disclaimer: I bought the product myself for my personal use and I am not affiliated with any company. I am not paid to do this review and everything I said here is my genuine opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment