Saturday 1 September 2012

OPI nailpolish in German-Icure: review, swatches and DUPES!





OPI Germany collection includes two shades which in the images provided by the manufacturer look basically the same, one of them is supposed to be burgundy, the other one plum according to the colour description. To make matters more complicated, it seems that some batches of the collection had their labels swapped which resulted in total mess as to which one is which. I consulted a number of renowned reviewers including Scrangie and The PolishAholic and others and each time descriptions differed. When I was making my order I wanted to get the plum one, not because I didn't like the other one, but because it seemed strangely familiar to something I had in my stash. This was hit or miss with 50%chance of winning. And, as usual, I lost.
German-Icure is a gorgeous nail polish. And I believe the burgundy in the description is highly misleading. To my eye it's red-toned brown with warm shimmer. It seems to glow from within! To my surprise the first coat was very sheer, runny and streaky, but the second coat miraculously evened out everything and I left it at that. As I said the formula was a bit sheer and runny but more optically than flood-the-nail kind watery. The brush, as with all OPI polishes is big and fanned out. Slightly too big perhaps. Suits me fine but I imagine this might be an issue for some people. It's a beautiful polish, if you like vampy shades and don't have anything like it in your stash you definitely need this one.



l-r: Orly Golden Maharaja, Opi German-Icure, Illamasqua Scarab, Zoya Blair, Nail Tek Maroon

The trouble is that I was able to come up with a number of perfect, nearly perfect and not-so-perfect dupes from my own shelf. Have look at the series of pictures below, the first three shades from the left display an unnerving similarity, don't they? The other two are not that close but they look very much alike in their bottles and they match the manufacturer's description of a burgundy shade much better than German-Icure itself.


l-r: Orly Golden Maharaja, Opi German-Icure, Illamasqua Scarab, Zoya Blair, Nail Tek Maroon 
On the thumb you can see Orly Golden Maharaja, which I always thought more chocolatey brown but to my surprise it was sooo similar. A tiny bit more brown than German-Icure.
On my index finger German-Icure.
On the middle one Illamasqua Scarab. This shade is a perfect dupe, the only difference being that it seemed more matte, even though I treated it with a top coat.
On my ring finger you can see Zoya Blair, which is a distant match though, as I said, it looks very similar in the bottle. While German-Icure is red-toned brown, Blair is burgundy which shimmer.
On the pinkie there's Nail Tek Maroon is exactly the same as Zoya Blair.
l-r: Orly Golden Maharaja, Opi German-Icure, Illamasqua Scarab, Zoya Blair, Nail Tek Maroon 


l-r:  Opi German-Icure, Illamasqua Scarab, Zoya Blair, Nail Tek Maroon 


Disclaimer: I bought the product myself for my personal use and I am not affiliated with any company. I am not paid to do this review and everything I said here is my genuine opinion.



No comments:

Post a Comment