Friday 22 February 2013

Affordable make-up: Rimmel Stay Matte pressed powder in 004 Sandstorm review

I got this powder after I'd heard so many raving reviews on Youtube. It was supposed to be a budget buy, the quality of which is comparable to higher-end brands and most importantly it would give me the matte, yet fresh, look throughout the day.
Well, I have mixed feelings about the product and I'm far from calling it the best powder I've ever used but it's not bad either.
The first thing you notice is the packaging which makes no attempt at pretending that it's not the cheapest shelf drugstore product. It's a kind of feeble plastic with a screw-on lid which doesn't close tightly and tends simply to lie on the top of the powder instead of securing it against chance opening etc. I'd never venture carrying it in my make-up bag for fear of having everything covered in powder dust.
There's neither a mirror nor a puff or sponge, which could also be a disadvantage for those of us who'd like to use the powder for touch-ups on the go.


Shade 004 Sandstorm is a pretty good match for my skin in winter. It's a light neutral beige which goes on quite sheer so it doesn't change the foundation shade very much.
What I like about the powder is that it's very soft and powdery. You just pat a brush on the powder and it releases the right amount of product. But on the other hand, with a sort of chalky product like this, it's easy to overdo. If you pick up too much, it'll turn cakey and turn your foundation into mud. The best way to use it is to use a blotting paper before you powder your face, then it really does look amazing!

The mattifying effect is pretty decent, but it's not a miracle product of any kind. I also do not notice any kind of ooomph effect on my face. My skin doesn't look smoother, freshes, glowier or anything like that. It's just matte.
I have oily skin and it worked quite all right for me but I felt the need to use a setting spray (which is not in my possession right now) on top of it cause it made my skin feel slightly tense. I imagine it does accentuate dry skin areas if  you have those.

To conclude, I believe it's a very good buy if you're on a budget, but in no way can it be called a dupe or a replacement for other midde and upper shelf products.


Disclaimer: I bought the product myself for my personal use and I am not affiliated with any company. I am not paid to do this review and everything I said here is my genuine opinion.


No comments:

Post a Comment