Saturday 2 March 2013

Sigma Eye Bare Shadow Base Kit review




Sigma eyeshadow bases have recently been a subject of controversy in the world of beauty fanatics. They received enthusiastic reviews of Sigma related bloggers and not so favourable ones from independent reviewers.
I love all eyeshadow bases and cream eyeshadows so I couldn't really resist getting a couple of them myself.

Sigma eyeshadow bases are sold individually, but you can also get them in a set of  three. For myself I picked the most neutral set, which is called Bare. Bases bought in a set are a bit cheaper and also each set comes with a practical synthetic brush.


At the first glance I had mixed feelings about the packaging. The bases come in very pretty look-like-glass plastic jars with gold Sigma Logo embossed on the cap. I'd be really in love with these jars if I didn't own an inexcusably large make-up collection and if I didn't experience storage isssues. These jars are huge, especially at the base, while the content inside seems tiny. This is, however, an optical illusion, cause the amount of product is exactly the same as in MAC Paintpot. The diametre of the product container is too small, I have large fingers with even longer nails which simply don't fit in there. I find the brush attached most handy!
On the positive side, I liked is the fact that there is a stopper which prevents the product from drying out!


The Bare set consists of 3 bases: Persuade, Pose and Sculpt. Persuade is a close dupe of MAC Painterly both in terms of shade and texture. It's a skin-toned matte shade which is barely perceptible on my skin. Pose is an irridescent medium-toned brown. I'm absolutely in love with this shade! Sculpt is a shimmery black which is also very pretty and fills in the gap in my eyeshadow base collection, which was missing a black shade.

All three of them are soft, creamy and apply evenly with no effort, whether you use your fingers or a brush. I have oily lids and I've made a habit of never putting anything on my lids without a primer, so over a primer they last all day and never let my eyeshadows crease. All three of them are beautiful, wearable shades which combined with powder eyeshadows of not necessarily matching colours offer unlimited possibilities. 


Many reviewers didn't complain about the quality as much as about the price which is similar to MAC Paintpots and Sigma's position in the market is considerably lower than MAC's. Well, I wouldn't mind paying less for both MAC and Sigma, but I see nothing wrong in asking the same price for exactly the same product. I've got both MAC Painterly and Sigma Persuade and I wouldn't be able to tell the difference in a blind test. 

I love the product itself and surely will be getting some more in the future. My only reservation about this product is the bulky and nonsensical packaging.



Disclaimer: I bought the product myself for my personal use and I am not affiliated with any company. I am not paid to do this review and everything I said here is my genuine opinion.

2 comments:

  1. I'd really love to try the Bare Persuade cream base. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so pretty and versatile, but if you've got MAC Painterly there's no need to get Persuade.

      Delete