Thursday 11 April 2013

Chanel Les Beiges Healthy Glow Sheer Powder #20 review


Being an owner of oily skin I'm constantly in search of the perfect powder to set my foundation and to use for touch-ups during the day. After I'd received promotional leaflets from Chanel about their new Les Beiges Healthy Glow Sheer Powder I read a couple of blog reviews and I thought this might actually be what I'd been looking for.


Les Beiges powder seems to mark the new trend in powder production, namely sheer powders which due to some light reflecting properties are able to blur lines, even out complexion and give your skin fresh, healthy glow. Chanel is not the only brand to have come up with a product this season,  Hourglass and Nars have recently launched with a similar idea behind them, though each of these powders differs substantially in the way this idea is executed.  


The powder comes in a gorgeous black case with a beige top and Chanel logo imprinted on it. The compact is quite large and it's equipped with a full-size mirror. It is enveloped in a standard Chanel black velvet pouch and comes with a very soft round brush which is separated from the product by a removable plastic shield. I actually believe such construction to be a major flaw as far as the packaging is concerned. The brush is not as useless as many brushes which come with compacts are and it could be handy for touch-ups on the go but   the first thought that comes to my mind is that it should be tossed away together with this horrible plastic shield. There should definitely be a separate compartment for the brush on the bottom of the compact.


I was matched to shade #20 which looks way too dark for me. However, with the powder being so sheer, the shade doesn't really matter that much, though if I were to choose again, I'd pick the lightest shade. The shade is a kind of medium toned peachy beige with no shimmer whatsoever.

The first thing you'll notice about this powder is the gorgeous fragrance which will reach your nostrils as soon as you open the compact. I know some people have sensitive skin and may consider this a disadvantage, I personally love fragranced powders and I love Les Beiges for that. The smell doesn't last on my skin but it adds to the pleasure of using the product.

The powder is exceptionally finely milled, but to my surprise it's not powdery at all. The brush does not kick out clouds of powder and picks a minimal amount of product.

The powder sets my foundation rather nicely but makes no attempt to mattify my skin. If I try to use this powder to set my glowier-looking foundations it doesn't seem to work at all and when I add more and more coats it turns cakey. So if I want to look more matte I first powder my face with a mattifying powder and then lightly apply Les Beiges on my forehead, cheeks, nose and chin and then it looks amazing.

This powder is not something that will be noticeable on your face. Nobody is going to ask you what powder you are using but you might get a lot of compliments about how fresh and glowy you look. 

The product contains SPF15 but I doubt if this makes any sense with the powder being so sheer and the application involving light dusting central points of the face.


Who might like the product?
those of us who want beautiful looking skin without packing on shimmer
anyone who needs a sheer powder to add a final touch to make-up
those who like scented powders

Who might not like the product?
oily skin owners in search of a powder that will keep them matte for hours
girls who like to cover their imperfections with compact powders





Disclaimer: I bought the product myself for my personal use and I am not affiliated with any company. I am not paid to do this review and everything I said here is my genuine opinion.



No comments:

Post a Comment