Sunday 6 October 2013

Burberry Velvet Foundation in Trench 203 review & swatches


I've had Burberry Velvet foundation for a while, but somehow I couldn't get round to writing this review. The thing is that I have very mixed feelings about this product.


The foundation comes in a gorgeous packaging, which is made of matte look-like-glass plastic and the charcoal- coloured cap bears the imprint of Burberry signature check. Unlike with other burberry products, there's no magnetic opening, the bottle clicks open and shut. The bottle comes with a pump, which distributes the right amount of product. I'm a big fan of beautiful objects, so I must say that one of the biggest pleasures of using this product is the possibility to handle something so pretty, however, I'd much prefer the materials used to be glass and metal, plastic seems a bit tacky to me. 


Now on to the product itself. Burberry Velvet Foundation is a matte foundation that is obviously meant for oily skin. Mine is fairly oily and the foundation feels very matte and dry on my face. The foundation sets almost immediately, so you need to work quickly, otherwise it'll be very hard to blend. If you aren't skilful enough or you use the wrong tools, it may look patchy. I like applying this foundation with a sponge, as you stipple it in one place and then move on to another, and moreover, you work in stippling motion, which is safer as blending may produce streaks, clots and smudges. 

I would describe the coverage you get as medium. Building it up results in the foundation looking very noticeable and most of the foundation ends up filling the pores.

I absolutely adore the matte finish, bit unfortunately it doesn't last very long. My oilies break through within two hours, and I'm not overly oily, mind you!  My face looks more oily than when I use non-matifying foundations like NARS Sheer Glow. 
What's worse, I find that this foundation is not long-lasting at all. I apply it over a primer at 7 am and by 11 it's completely gone from my nose and swims around my face in all directions. But it doesn't settle in the pores particularly much. The same thing happens each time I wear the foundation, no matter whether I set it with powder or not.

I've got this foundation in shade Trench 203, which when swatched looks like a pretty neutral beige with slight peachy undertones. on my face, however, it turns very yellow. While the colour worked somehow on my tanned face in the summer, it's too dark and too yellow for me now.

On the positive note, the foundation smells absolutely gorgeous. Burberry is consistent with adding this classy scent to their face products and thank them for that. I like scented products a lot!


To sum up, this foundation isn't foolproof. Learning how to use it may take some time.  
People with dry skin should stay away from this, and I'm not sure whether this does a good job for oily skin either.
But I find the packaging and the scent so irresistible, that I can't really hate this product.




Disclaimer: I bought the product myself for my personal use and I am not affiliated with any company. I am not paid to do this review and everything I said here is my genuine opinion.



No comments:

Post a Comment