Thursday 16 January 2014

Redken Scalp Relief Soothing Balance Shampoo review


My scalp problems started about a year and a half ago when I decided to bleach my hair. I suffered a strong allergic reaction, which left my scalp covered in scabs and feeling sore. After the scabs peeled off, my scalp kept flaking. I thought it was dandruff and I treated my hair for that, quite unsuccessfully. 
Only recently my hairdresser told me my issue was not dandruff at all, but extremely dry scalp. She suggested that I use milder shampoos and apply conditioner only to the ends of my hair, which is rather hard to so as my hair is kind of  short now. 
I returned home, did some research, which did not include organic or home-made concoctions, and picked one of Redken shampoos from their Scalp Relief line, which directly targeted sensitive, flaking and itchy scalp.

The shampoo has a mild menthol scent and due to its content has an immediate cooling effect. It produces rich lather and washes my hair really well. After using this shampoo my hair feels a bit coarse and looks as if I've used a volumising shampoo like Alterna Bamboo Volume. I feared that a shampoo that would target my scalp problems would also make my hair look flat or unruly, but it doesn't, which is great.

I've been using this shampoo for the past month and to my great surprise I noticed a substantial improvement in the condition of my scalp. I do not see these huge flakes in my hair any more and it also doesn't itch me almost at all. I don't intend to use this shampoo all the time, I hope that once my scalp is treated I can come back to my regular hair care. But I'm always going to have a bottle in stock, just in case. What's more, I'm not the only user of the shampoo, as Mr Hubby seems to enjoy its cooling and anti-itching results just as much.

The only regret is that this shampoo doesn't come with a matching conditioner, which means that while I'm treating my scalp with the right shampoo, I need to reach for some other conditioner, which might be the source of or aggravate the skin  problem. 

Disclaimer: I bought the product myself for my personal use and I am not affiliated with any company. I am not paid to do this review and everything I said here is my genuine opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment