Saturday 18 January 2014

The Balm Nudetude palette review & swatches


The Nalm Nudetude palette was featured in my make-up disappointments of 2013, so you might have guessed this is not going to be a terribly favourable review. Don't get me wrong, this is not a bad palette, but in the market flooded with dozens of neutral palettes to choose from, this one does not surpass its competition. 

So as not to sound mean, I'd like to start with what I liked about the palette. 
It's obviously the packaging that drew me to Nudetude. It comes in a cardboard box with a large mirror and a double-sided brush. The eyeshadows themselves cover private parts of lovely naked pin up-style ladies. I adore this vintage imagery, the overall look of the palette, the font, the fact that each eyeshadow has its name printed underneath, the feel of the cardboard, the sleek size of the palette.  


And now on to things I didn't quite like. 
I order most of my make-up and skincare stuff online mostly because the majority of brands I'm interested in are unheard of in Poland, so there's no possibility for me to see the produts in real life before buying them and secondly, those that are distributed here are ridiculously more expensive.That is why I need to choose the products I buy carefully. I read reviews, analyse swatches, consider whether they would suit my skin tone and purposes, nonetheless surprises are unavoidable. 

I'd seen the images of the palette million times before, yet I was so mesmerised by the vintage design that I failed to notice how small the actual pans are. I'm not complaining about how much product I get, I've got so many eyeshadows that I'm unable to use them up until the end of my life. The thing is that an average-sized brush barely fits in there.  

Secondly, I don't think the neutral eyeshadow selection here is the most versatile in history, the quality of them leaves a lot to wish for. I find myself reaching for about two or three shadows from the palette and I still need to grab other base, highlighting, crease shadows cause none of these within the palette serve the purposes well.

I'm not going to go over each single eyeshadow, I'd like to group them according to purpose discuss them in terms of usefulness and performance.

There are four light eyeshadows on the left, but none of them makes a neutral base colour nor a good highlight. They range from stark whitre, through rather pigmented pinks and peaches to mustard yellow, all of them with frosty finish. While I like some shimmer here and there, I believe frost all over the lid or on the brow bone looks cheap and tasteless on everyone regardless of age or race. 

There's only one matte brown eyeshadow that can be used in the crease (Sultry), but I find it too dark for lighter complexions to give just a hint of colour.

There are three more matte shadows, which fortunately contribute to the variety of the palette. Also the glitter one (Silly) can be counted as a matte one as it has a matte base and the glitter doesn't show that much, especially after blending it manifests itself under my eyes more than on my lids.
The trouble with the matte shades is that they're very dry and chalky. When they are blended, the colour turns all dark muddy. I don't see much difference between Sexy, which is a beautiful eggplant shade and Sleek with is a lovely dark coffee brown. 

Sophisticated and Silly are the waekest two within the palette. Especially Silly. They're both dry and hard-textured eyeshadows with gold glitter.   

 Selfish and Seductive are the best and most wearable eyeshadows and I find myself reaching for Selfish most often as it suits my skin tone better. 

The shadows in general are on the warm side, while I prefer cooler-toned ones for my pinky complexion. I'm sure those of us with olive skin tones will have a totally different opinion of the palette. 

All in all, this is not a bad palette, but if I had  to choose, I'd pick any of the Naked palettes or Lorac Pro. 



Disclaimer: I bought the product myself for my personal use and I am not affiliated with any company. I am not paid to do this review and everything I said here is my genuine opinion.


No comments:

Post a Comment