Sunday 16 March 2014

Bourjois Rouge Edition Velvet lipstick in #01 Personne ne rouge and #07 Nude-ist review & swatches & dupes


When I have the urge to perk myself up for the spring I get obsessed with lipsticks and blushes. After getting a number of gorgeous cheek colours for the coming season, the time has come for lip product.
The first one that grabbed my attention turned out to be the new product by Bourjois, their liquid lipstick with matte finish. 


Bourjois Rouge Edition Velvet comes in very pretty packaging that looks close to much higher-end products. The size, the shape of the bottle and the applicator resembles Chanel Rouge Allure Laque, though the product itself is completely different.
Rouge Edition Velvet is the kind of liquid lipstick that dries to a velvety matte finish and lasts for hours. I really love the concept and have had a number of similar lipsticks in the past with Stila Beso being my absolute favourite. In my excitement I picked two of these lipsticks to try out and perhaps come back for more.
My first impressions were very, very bad. It all started in the shop when swatching the shade I wanted to get the most - Grand Cru. This particular shade swatched patchily and crumbly and made me dread to think what such a dark shade would look like on the lips.
The application of the first shade of my choice - Personne ne rouge - also turned out to be more troublesome than expected. I don't have chapped, dry lips, I take great care to moisturise and exfoliate them and I've never spent a fortune on lip balms nor experienced problems related to drying lip products. Thanks to Bourjois Rouge Edition Velvet in Personne ne rouge I understood the importance of prepping the lips. On my bare lips the lipstick refused to glide on. It clung to my some areas of my lips, while totally refusing to adhere to others. It also created a sort of weird division line on my bottom lip (see picture below). What's more it took about half an hour to set (much longer than every single lipstick of this kind that I've used) and in this period it transferred onto everything and seemed not to be the long-lasting lipstick I'd hoped for. I was on the verge of removing the product from my lips and dumping the newly bought lippie in a fit of fury, but I was in a bit of a hurry so I left the house before deciding what to do about it. 
While I was out the lipstick set and stayed put for hours. It didn't transfer and looked surprisingly good, considering how patchily it applied.

Next time I took care to apply a lip balm before this lipstick, then blot, and the result was much better.
However, after testing both of these matte finish lipsticks I must say that they do dry my lips out during the day, making them beg me for a balm or at least a gloss on top, they do accentuate all dry patches, and worn for a couple of days in a row they leave my lips in a disastrous condition, so I tend to take breaks and use these interchangeably with other lip products. 

So much about the overall quality of these lipsticks, now on to the two shades I picked.


The first one, #01 Personne ne rouge, is a lovely red shade that tends to photograph slightly more orange than it really is. To me this is the kind of red that keeps balance between cool and warm tones and that's why I think it'll look slightly different on everyone, but it'll suit a wide variety of skin tones. In spite of being bright, bold red, it's also very elegant and surprisingly wearable.   


#07 Nude-ist is quite disappointing as far as the shade is concerned. Misguided by the name and what the swatch looked like in the shop I somehow believed this was more beigey kind of nude shade, but it turned out to be very definitely dusty, rosy pink. What's more after I'd applied the lipstick I had a strong deja vu sensation. I rummaged through my lipstick box and produced a perfect dupe! NYX Soft Matte Lip Cream in San Paulo is exactly the same or actually better. In the swatch below it looks crumbly, but when you apply it on the lips all that unevenness disappears and NYX lip cream provides much smoother colour that lasts longer and is not as drying. Since there isn't much product left in my good old NX tube, Bourjois Rouge Edition Velvet will be a decent replacement. But this also means that when I crave a matte liquid lipstick next tine I'll get NYX Soft Matte Lip Cream instead of its Bourjois counterpart. 




No comments:

Post a Comment