Thursday 20 March 2014

Guerlain Tenue de Perfection foundation in #02 Beige Claire review & swatches


Guerlain Tenue de Perfection is a new addition to Guerlain foundation range. It's supposed to contain absorbent powders and corrective pigments that offer you high coverage and matte finish. It claims to last 16 hours without oxidising or turning oily. It comes in a classy packaging with a pump that distributes the right amount of product and looks really pretty on a dressing table.
I believe this foundation is pretty much in the same family as Estee Lauder Double Wear and for me it's actually a winner. This would be my absolutely favourite foundation of all times if it wasn't for the bad colour match and the lack of shade that would match me better. 


So let me explain what I love about this foundation so much.
1. IT'S MATTE, but not flat matte nor drying matte nor ageing matte. I don't need to powder this foundation and it looks as if I slightly dusted it with powder. It also feels very comfortable during the day.
2. STAYS MATTE. It's not always the case that mattifying foundations stay matte for a long time. I've noticed that some of them actually stimulate horrible sebum production. Guerlain Tenue de Perfection doesn't. I have oily skin and no foundations stay matte all day on me, but even if some oilies break through this foundation, this doesn't mean my face turns into a melting lava of foundation. My face still looks glowing fresh.
3. LONG LASTING. Although I need to powder or blot at some point during the day, my foundation still looks good. It doesn't melt nor migrate towards my pores and looks flawless throughout the day. 
4. EASY TO APPLY. It's rather on the dry side, but it gives you enough time to blend before it sets. It applies well with all tools, my favourites are a flat top brush or a sponge. 
5. MEDIUM COVERAGE. I think this point requires a bit of comment. I've recently seen Emily Noel Youtube video where she talks about her attempt to use less foundation, which made me realise I actually do the same. Instead of using one pump, which covers my face pretty well, I've been using two pumps or more without any reason to do so. An average user needs one pump and perhaps some concealer. If the foundation doesn't do the trick with one layer, get a higher coverage one instead of loading tons of product and turning your face into a mask. This said, my new method of assessing the coverage is how much coverage I can get with the amount of foundation needed to make dots all over my face and blend them.    The manufacturer describes the coverage as full, though, after my one-pump test I'd describe it as medium. Of course, with this foundation being on the dry side, it's possible to build it up to achieve full coverage, but my face looks like I'm wearing a ton of make-up then.
6. NATURAL FINISH. If you don't overdo, this foundation will give you the most natural, yet beautified look imaginable.
7. BEAUTIFUL PACKAGING. I suppose this requires no comment.
8. LOVELY SCENT. This might be a disadvantage for some, but my skin isn't perfume sensitive so I absolutely adore this strong, floral and long-lasting scent on my face.  
9. SPF20 is always a nice addition, though if I'm planning to spend a day in the sun I don't trust foundations to do the job and reach for a proper sunscreen


The major drawback of this foundation is the shade range. I picked shade #02 Beige Clair which is the lightest one within the beige spectrum available to me (though I've seen swatches of #01 on the net) and it's too dark for my skin in winter and I'm not the palest of pale. I suppose it'll be perfectly fine in the summer, but I don't tend to reach for such high coverage foundations in the heat, I prefer BB creams then, except for nights out. 


I really love my Tenue de Perfection foundation, as almost everything by Guerlain I've ever laid my hands on, and I seriously wish the colour match was better. Even though my hand is paler than my face, you can clearly see in the picture below how dark it is, unfortunately. 

Disclaimer: I bought the product myself for my personal use and I am not affiliated with any company. I am not paid to do this review and everything I said here is my genuine opinion.

6 comments:

  1. It does look matte and nice, though it's quite dark. Too bad about the shade range!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope to tan a bit in the summer and then it'll do. I love this foundation anyway!

      Delete
  2. is that yellow undertone? in pict it looks a bit orange

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most certainly it's neither yellow nor neutral. I would describe the shade as peachy, which leans pinkish orange on me and may definitely look orange on yellow skin. This is a lovely product, but the shade range is sooo wrong.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for help! I really want this product but i still not sure about the shade 😅

      Delete