Saturday 29 March 2014

Too Faced Chocolate Bar palette review & swatches


Today I'd like to review my favourite eyeshadow palette of late, which is Too Faced Chocolate Bar.
I've never been disappointed with any product by Too Faced, but their packaging sometimes verges on very bad taste. All those pink gorly boxes don't always appeal to my personal taste, but this time I simply found the idea for the palette irresistible.
It comes in a brown metal box that immitates a chocolate bar and when you open it the first thing that'll strike you that the eyeshadows actually smell like chocolate, not like something artificial pretending to smell like chocolate, but like the real one. The story behind this product is that it actually contains cocoa powder, but how much of this is true I do not know.  

The eyeshadows inside are mostly consistent with the theme of chocolate, representing different kinds of chocolate or praline products, which in practice means countless varieries of browns plus two highlighters, one pink and one purple eyeshadow.
What we get here is a wide variery of undertones and finishes from warm peachy shades to cooler-toned taupes and from mattes to glitters.


The quality, ease of application and performance differs from one eyeshadow to another.
The matte eyeshadows are fabulous. They're neither chalky nor powdery, they are insanely pigmented, glide on like butter, which is quite unusual for mattes, and blend beautifully. My absolute favourites are Semi-sweet, Milk Chocolate and Triple Fudge.
The shimmers are just as amazing, I'm not raving about them that much simply because good shimmers aren't as unique as well-performing matte eyeshadows. I absolutely adore the bottom row ones, especially Hazelnut, Creme Brulee and Haute Chocolate.

I don't quite like the glitters. They have dry and chalky matte base and glitter particles that do not cling to the eyeshadows well. These shadows produce lots of fall out and the glitter lands all over the face. The only way to make them work is to pat them over an eyeshadow base without blending. 
The biggest disappointment is Candied Violet. First of all the shade looks completely different in real life than in the pictures taken by my fellow bloggers. It's a muted violet shade with pink glitter, whereas it seemed almost cobalt to me. The shade itself is very pretty, but the quality is worse than that of many very low end drugstore products. Try as I might, I just can't make it work for me at all.


Another downside of this palette is that the eyeshadows are so creamy that they crease on me even though I use high quality bases underneath. Some of them do so within a matter of 4-5 hours. This is unusual as no other eyeshadows crease on me that quickly and that badly. 

In spite of these pretty serious drawbacks this palette is one of my favourites ever. It hardly ever happens that I like and use almost every single shade. All shades are perfectly wearable on all complexions and give you an opportunity to create a wide variety of looks, ranging from everyday neutrals to dramatic smokeys. The packaging and the chocolate scent also play an important role, making it such a pleasure to touch and use the product. 



Disclaimer: I bought the product myself for my personal use and I am not affiliated with any company. I am not paid to do this review and everything I said here is my genuine opinion.











No comments:

Post a Comment