Friday 18 April 2014

Essence Highlighter Powder in 01 Love Poem review


When rummaging around drugstore shelves I spotted this little beauty. This is a limited edition Essence highlighter from their spring collection and since it was highly affordable I thought I'd give it a go.
The product comes in a typical Essence packaging made of sturdy clear plastic with a transparent lid that reveals the beautiful motto embossing on the product itself. 


I'm not sure whether this product should actually be marketed as a highlighter or as a finishing powder. The shade is a pale peachy beige and it seems kind of pearlescent when swatched heavily, but when blended out it turns almost matte or perhaps satin, with some particles of shimmer. It's nowher near the metallic sheen thst you get from such highlighters as Mary-Lou Maniser by The Balm or the Shimmering Skin Perfectors by Becca. I haven't got the new matte highlighter/bronzer from NARS but it seems to me this could be a product with the same idea behind. It can be used to highlight certain areas of your face without adding too much of a glow.
It's a nice powder that can be used safely in all amounts without any special care, but I'm not sure if it does anything to my skin. The shimmer particles are tiny, but they tend to look like sparse glitter on my cheeks, it's not bad, very summery. I think it could be used all over, perhaps not as a setting powder, but as a finishuing one.


Good drugstore highlighters are extremely hard to get and this one is neither good nor bad. I feel it's more of a finishing powder than a highlighter to me and I tend to reach for it when I'm pressed for time as it's effortless, requires neither skill nor attention.


Disclaimer: I bought the product myself for my personal use and I am not affiliated with any company. I am not paid to do this review and everything I said here is my genuine opinion.


3 comments:

  1. I didn't buy it because it seems how should call it, 'flawless'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did,'t buy it because it looked dull.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose you're right. I'm not sure how to use this product. I try to highlight with this, but it doesn't seem to do anything really.

      Delete