Sunday 15 June 2014

Dior Addict Fluid Stick in Pandora #754 review, swatches and comparisons



Today I'd like to review the best make-up purchase of the month of may and also one of the best lip products in my collection. 
Dior Addict Fluid  Sticks are a new addition to the brand's range. Like the YSL Vernis a Levres they are meant to combine the opacity of lipsticks, the shine of glosses and the staying power of lip stains. 
They come in gorgeous packaging that is consistent with the Dior Addict line on the one hand and a bit of a rip off Maybelline Color Elixirs released earlier. The tube is partly transparent and you can see the actual colour of the product in the shape of a lipstick bullet. When you unscrew the cap you'll notice the most unusual applicator on the market. It's a sponge that is shaped a bit like a cusion, slightly convex on one side and slightly concave on the other. This shape adjusts to my lip shape perfectly, allowing for precise application without any effort.



Pandora, the shade I picked, is a bright coral red. It's opaque in one coat and offers my lips incredible colour and fresh, juicy shine. It's a perfect summer shade, bright and fun. It stays incredibly long on my lips, survives a couple of drinks and a light meal. When it starts to fade it does do very evenly, without bold patches, clumping, smudging etc.
It's lightweight, doesn't feel tacky. It doesn't dry out my lips, but I can't say if it has any long-lasting moisturising properties. 
I experience some slight tingling sensation on my lips as if a small amount of a lip plumper was added to the product.  
After removing the swatch from my hand my skin was barely stained, so I don't think this product can be treated as a lip stain.
There's a faint and pleasant scent to the product, to me it seems to be vanilla. 
And finally one weird thing about this Fluid Stick. It has a bitter taste when you lick your lips with the tip of your tongue, which is a bit of surprise as it doesn't agree with the scent of the product. And anyway, who wants to offer bitter kisses? 

Now, how do these compare to other similar products on the market?
The first and the most obvious counterpart seems to be the above mentioned YSL Vernis a Levres. Well, I've had 4 of these YSL lovelies and I must say that they're inconsistent in terms of performance. The brighter the shade the more opaque, saturated and long-lasting the colour. Reds are definitely the best performers out of the bunch, so I'll focus on these in my comparison.

Both the YSL and the Dior are the most long-lasting glossy lip products in my collection. Dior seems ever so slightly more glossy when first applied, YSL stains my lips more.
Both feel very comfortable on my lips, the Dior is probably a bit less tacky as the YSL may turn gloopy when overapplied.
The Dior has a more convenient applicator, the YSL seems almost feeble, compared to Dior. 
The packaging of both is luxurious and pretty.
The YSL has a more characteristic rosy scent that is typical of all lip stains I've tried (Benefit, Sephora, Tony Moly, Maybelline etc.).
If I were to choose I'd probably lean towards the Dior Fluid Sticks, but since the products are fairly similar, the colour selection would influence my choice rather than the brand.


Many reviewers mention Maybelline Color Elixirs or L'Oreal Color Riche Extraordinaire when talking about Dior Fluid Sticks, to me it seems, however, they either don't have both products or they haven't tested them properly. The drugstore ones are neither as opaque nor as long-lasting as their alleged high end counterparts.


Disclaimer: I bought the product myself for my personal use and I am not affiliated with any company. I am not paid to do this review and everything I said here is my genuine opinion.



No comments:

Post a Comment