Tuesday 7 April 2015

Korean goodies: Dr. MJ Real Mucin Restore Cream not-so-favourable review


Korean skincare is known not only for its superb quality and incredible moisturising properties but also for using experimental ingredients that come either straight from the state-of-the-art lab or from nature. We've seen among the ingredients volcanic ashes, edible vegetables, pig skin, spider webs, bee venom  and ... snail mucin.

I'm not squeamish and nothing discourages me from experimenting with skincare so I reach for these weird products with curiosity. Dr. MJ Real Mucin Restore Cream is not the first snail secretion-based cream I've received and used and it received really good reviews from Korean beauty bloggers, so I was pretty excited to try it out. 

This cream promises to regenerate and revitalize the skin, decrease wrinkles, replenish moisture and maximise skin elasticity and firmness. 
After my experience with Mizon Snail Recovery Gel Cream, which was nothing out of the ordinary in terms of consistency and application of the product, Dr. MJ Real Mucin was a bit of a shock for me and it still startles me whenever I open the jar, even though I'm already half way through. 

This cream looks and feels like 100% snail secretion, the only difference is that it's not clear. It's sticky, slimey, fragrance-free and, frankly, quite disgusting. It's hard to pick and apply because the viscosity of the cream is such that it pulls out in neverending strands. This cream is quite runny, but by no means watery. It applies sticky and remains extremely tacky until I rub my face clean of it against my pillow. 
This cream is highly moisturising and non-greasy, but it's so unpleasant to use. I cannot get rid of feeling that I'm wearing unprocessed snail secretion on my face and this is rather revolting. I've been forcing myself to use this up, but I've noticed that I subconsciously avoid reaching for this cream at night time, I search for some samples or use only serum instead.
I haven't noticed any spectacular results that cannot be achieved with other, less controversial skincare. It does moisturise all right and especially dry skin types would be able to appreciate that, but I don't think that my oily skin needs that much torture.  

This is the first time I've tested a Korean skincare item that is such a big 'no no' for me. It cost about $46 and I feel I cannot afford wasting it completely, but it repels me each time I use it.


No comments:

Post a Comment